(Type your query in the field above and press enter to search)

SBEM Calculations for Existing Buildings

Are you working on an existing non domestic scheme? If so it’s likely that you may need SBEM calculations.

SBEM is sometimes used to assess existing buildings, depending on the circumstances and requirements.

The requirements are driven by Part L2B of the building regulations. L2B is simpler than it’s new build counterpart (L2A), and doesn’t necessarily require an SBEM assessment. However, work to existing buildings must always meet minimum standards for fabric (U-values) and buildings services.

The areas of windows, doors and rooflights should also be limited.

How it worksSBEM Calculations for Post Office Building

If any of the fabric, services or glazing standards cannot be met, compliance can still be achieved by compensating elsewhere. This is where we can use SBEM to demonstrate compliance. Our job is to help the client to shape a design which will produce no additional CO2 over and above this ‘baseline’.

As mentioned on our SBEM for New Build page, large extensions are treated as new builds and must meet L2A requirements.

Design stage advice

We typically work with design teams from RIBA stages 2-4. By addressing the design early, we can maximise any options to reduce energy use and be far more creative with cost effective solutions.

SBEM Calculations for office building

At technical design stage we’ll carry out an initial assessment to determine an estimated EPC rating. At this stage we can also demonstrate the CO2 compensation method if required for offsetting any elements not met.

On completion of the build we’ll collect evidence of the final specification and produce the EPC. We then wrap up all of the final reporting and certification, ready for presentation to your planners or building control officer.


Buildings require an EPC when they are being rented, sold, or when they are constructed (including some modifications to buildings).

If a non-domestic building is being sold or rented it will require an EPC if there isn’t a current one (they are valid for 10 years). An SBEM assessment can be carried out to produce one if required.

Additionally, where a building is modified so that it contains an additional ‘part’ (a part of the building designed to be used by a separate occupant) an EPC may also be requested by Building Control.

Want more Information on SBEM Calculations?

See What is SBEM and Why Use it?

For more detail around the building regulations see document L2B.

Would you like to discuss your project?

Call us for a chat on 0330 055 34 05 or email

Recent Projects

"HPW Architecture Ltd engaged Build Energy to ensure we delivered a commercially viable solution. From the very first introductory meeting they provided a first class service by helping to demystify the whole process and demonstrated excellent knowledge. We have found their experience and advice invaluable and would have no hesitation recommending their services"

Ben Jepson
- HPW Architecture

Contact us

We are always there to help. We'd love to hear from you!

Find Us